Sunday, September 21, 2008

Licking our wounds

Last night I went over to visit Kara. Her road rash is terrible! It starts at her ankle and goes all the way up to her waist on the left side. There really is no skin on her elbow and her forearm has another huge patch. Crazy girl should have been sitting around with her leg up but instead she was playing hostess, keeping everyone's drinks filled and taking care of kids. By 8 her leg was swollen pretty good and by that time I was also leaning forward in my chair attempting to take the pressure off my back. We're quite the pair!

Today Kara had big plans to sit home and watch football while her hubby took the kids to the Zoo. I hope that is what she did. I woke up with the back feeling pretty good and too much pent up energy. I cleaned the house and couldn't take it anymore. The sun was shining, the leaves were turning and there was a nice cool breeze blowing. How could I stay off my bike? So I decided on an easy ride up Emigration. By the time I'd pumped up my tires I was starting to think that riding might not be such a good idea. . . oh well, I don't generally listen to reason. So I went. I turned off my bike computer and rode without heart rate. I took it pretty easy since breathing deeply seems to be the second biggest source of pain, right after standing and pulling on my handlebars. So I sat and spun all the way up. I got passed a lot. I even got passed by a guy with fenders and a rubber duckie on his handlebars which he squeaked at me as he went by. I must have been going really slow!

So now I'm sore, but not too bad. The ride was worth it. I needed the mental break that riding gives me and it would have been terrible to waste such a beautiful fall day. I think in a few more days I'll be good too go! Harvest Moon here I come!

2 comments:

Rio's Rider said...

Glad you're starting to feel better. Keep resting!

Seems that I've missed the latest episode of Kara's (mis)adventures. I guess I assumed that the road rash was from the mtn bike/stitches in the knee incident. This sounds way worse and more current. What's the story?

Downhilldiva said...

Sorry to leave you in the dark. Kara crashed at RMR last week. I guess so did most of the C field. She said it was 3 laps to go and she was still in. Norm started pulling away and she hung on his wheel. Next thing she knows the field bunched up and she got side swiped. She is a mess. Probably no Harvest Moon for her.