Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Tuesday, December 25, 2007
Here is a sweet video of Isabelle on Christmas Eve. She dressed up in her new Dora dress up clothes and had fun playing with her new interactive baby.
Monday, December 24, 2007
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Monday, December 10, 2007
Sunday, December 9, 2007
Ft. Bueneventura 12/7 race report. I felt good at the start. I rode with my big fat Kona flat pedals and hiking boots instead of trying to clip into pedals full of mud and snow. I got off to a good start (one of my less cordial starts) but fell back off the pack once we hit the slick mud. I forgot to change my back tire and was racing on a very slick, almost road tire on the back. Any time I geared up and tried to use power my back tire just spun and slipped. My only hope was to gear down and spin through the course. Brandi got a good lead on me but thanks to her fall and the barriers I was able to catch her. We went back and forth for a while but I was finally able to drop her in the last lap for a 5th place finish.
Sam raced well. As usual he was hot off the start line. However, by the time he raced the entire course had turned into a big mud field. By the end of the first lap his mountain bike was no longer shifting and he was having to work hard to cut those fat tires through the mud. He switched to his cross (really more of a commuter bike) and got back on course. He held onto third for most of the race but towards the end the mud drained his power and finished 4th. Watch for muddy, snowy pictures coming soon!
Friday, December 7, 2007
1. Best thing you cooked last week. This is bad but I don't think I cooked at all. Okay, Stauffer's frozen lasagna really can't count. Pathetic!
2. If money, time and babysitting were no object where would you go and who with? I would like to go ride my bike in Europe for a while. I'd take Sam with me.
3. When was the last time you cried? Yesterday when Sam said he just wanted to be alone on Christmas.
4. 5 things you were doing 10 years ago. Being a Mom to an 8 and 3 year old, teaching aerobics, managing a clinic, married to Brian. . .
5. 5 things you were doing 5 years ago. Being a Mom to an 8 year old and a 13 year old, trying to make ends meet as a single Mom, teaching aerobics, managing a clinic. (Okay, now you can see why I only write about biking- everything else is the same old stuff!)
6. 5 things you were doing 1 year ago. Riding my bike, being a Mom to a high school senior and a 6th grader, managing a clinic and teaching aerobics.
7. 7 of your favorite hobbies. Road cycling/racing, cyclocross, hanging out with my kids, hanging out with Sam, reading, watching movies, playing video games with my family.
8. 5 favorite foods. Sushi, pizza of any kind, pasta, chocolate, strawberry shortcake.
9. 5 places you've been. San Francisco, Tuscon, Las Vegas, Florida, So. Cal.
10. 5 favorite memories. Giving birth to both of my amazing children. Seeing them grow up into the wonderful individuals they are today, all of the beautiful things I've seen on my bike, finishing Lotoja.
I don't know too many bloggers so I guess I'll tag Brandi.
Tomorrow is the last cross race so you'll get a little break from all of the bike stuff. You may have to hear about trainer rides and some cross country skiing.
Thursday, December 6, 2007
Monday, December 3, 2007
The race was insane. I changed my pedals right before because after half a lap I couldn't clip in anymore because my shoes and clips were full of snow. My heart was pounding the whole time but it wasn't because I was working hard- just scared. On the gravel roads there were big ruts in the snow that would grab your tires and pull you in different directions (usually one tire in one direction and the other the opposite way). Because of the snow you couldn't tell where the dirt ended and the pavement started until you hit the icy pavement and started sliding. I went down so many times. I felt like I was trying to stay on a mechanical bull! My shin is black and blue from one fall and on another I got my calf run over by someone on another. I went back and forth with one girl for a while and thought I had 6th wrapped up. Then on the last stretch I wandered off into some deep snow and couldn't pedal my bike up the hill. The girl in 7th passed me so I quickly got on my bike to chase her down for the finish. Well, the chase didn't work so well and I crashed again 10 yards from the finish line. I didn't even try to get back on my bike I just ran across the finish. The really awesome thing is Sam got my whole terrible finish on video. I'm so proud.
Here's the really crazy part- Sam killed everyone in the snow. They started his field an entire minute behind the pros. He caught all but 5 of them. He lapped his own field 2x!! Everyone else is slipping and sliding and he's just riding along like it's a bright sunny day. It was unbelievable. Everyone in the crowd was cheering for him because they just couldn't beleive how fast he was going. Of course I'm jumping up and down and running around and screaming my lungs out for him. It was a blast! I got some great shots of him but he downloaded them onto his computer and then erased them off my camera. So he'll have to email them to me then I can update my blog. Brandi got some cool pics check them out on her blog at http://blackchickonabike.blogspot.com/ Everyone crashed several times and lots of people had snow packed into their helmets! Insane!
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Monday, November 12, 2007
Sunday, November 11, 2007
Sunday, November 4, 2007
Back to cyclocross this week. It was a beautiful day for racing even if it was a bit chilly in the morning. After lots of practice and great coaching from Sam I did a lot better on my mounts and dismounts. Also, my bike was so much faster (again, thanks to Sam) and I rode a much better race. Hopefully if I can learn to be less "cordial" off the starting line and place a little higher next race. Sam raced well (as usual) and finished 5th. I forgot my camera though which is too bad because the sun was shining on the snowcapped peaks of Mnt. Timpanogas. So, here are some pictures from the very wet, muddy race in Ft. Bueneventura two weeks ago.
Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Friday, October 26, 2007
Monday, October 22, 2007
quiz from Casey's blog. I have mostly bike stuff on my blog so I thought I'd mix it up a bit. Actually most of my cool blog ideas are stolen from Casey.
1. Height? 5' 5"
2. Have you ever smoked? Not cigarettes
3. Do you own a gun? No, more likely to injure myself.
4. Favorite kind of music? Alternative
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? Yes. Hate the doctor (I see enough of them every day.)
6. What do you think of hot dogs? Ick.
7. What's your favorite kids movie? Shrek
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Starbucks Venti Latte no flavors.
9. Can you do push ups? A few girl ones, my elbow is still weak!
10. Is your bathroom clean? Mine is but the kid's is questionable.
11. What's your favorite piece of jewelry? My chainring necklace.
12. Do you like painkillers? No I still have some from the ER.
13. What is your secret weapon to lure in the opposite sex? Road rash scar on my face?
14. Do you have A.D.D.? Yes, this quiz is actually about 30 questions long but I'm getting bored with it so I'll have to answer the rest another time!
Sunday, October 21, 2007
Saturday's race was so wet and muddy. I was soaked to the bone. By the time Sam raced (the good people go last) the course was thick sticky mud. Sam had to change bikes halfway through because his was so gunked up. He rode hard and managed to pull off a brutal 3rd. I rode well and ended up 7th once again.
Sunday we were out racing at Wheeler Farm. Ashley decided to stay in her warm bed. I was tired and didn't feel like I put out my best effort. I also have a tendency to get lost and ride in circles which doesn't help. Still I finished 7th once again. After riding hard on Saturday, Sam just didn't have the push he needed to hang with an incredibly fast 35+ field and had to drop out.
We are hoping for a nice dry weekend of racing next week.
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Our second cross race was at RMR. It was my first time racing there since my season ending crash at the criterium race on May 30. Fortunately this race stayed away from the drag strip and my speeds were slow enough that even though I fell down alot there were no injuries! This was a hard course with lots of short steep sections, the usual barriers and the "Green Monster". The "Green Monster" was the terribly steep grassy section that we had to run up and traverse across (see below).
Ashley did awesome! She was the only girl in the 14 and under catergory. Out of 10 kids she took 5th (as she says- she beat 4 boys). And since she was the only girl she officially took 1st. I managed to place 7th. Which sounds better than DFL! That is all right. It was a fun race and I can only get better.
Friday, October 12, 2007
Thursday, October 11, 2007
Austin has submitted an original design of his for a competition for a billboard. Voting starts this Friday. If he wins he'll get $1000. That would really help with college. Go to http://www.971zht.com/pages/zoobillboard/ to vote. His design is #42 with the animals.
Sunday, October 7, 2007
The weather was crummy so we decided not to race this weekend. We still had a great day shopping and going to the movies. In the evening we went to dinner with some of our family. Ashley had a great birthday and tonight she gets to have another party with her family.
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Sunday, September 30, 2007
It was a beautiful day. We are going to practice our mounts and dismounts and do it again next week.
Here is a video that gives a little bit of an idea of what cyclocross is all about. Ashley and I still need some practice and I need to get a lighter bike but soon we'll be flying over those barriers.