Friday, April 11, 2008

Clubbin

Last night I went back to my biking roots and did a club ride with the BBC (formerly BBTC). Some of my best friends are still big clubbies and it is fun to ride with them and then chat over dinner and beers after. I think I'll have to make a point of doing this more often. It is very good for my self esteem. For the most part I used it as a recovery ride and a chance to burn of a few hundred more calories to justify my beer. Since I was in full team kit the "fast" guys of the group wanted to prove they could still beat me. I chased them a couple of times but I let them beat me up 2300 East. It does make me see how far I've come from the days when this ride used to kill me.

Dinner was interesting. I got lots of questions about racing. Like why are all but the pro races so short? Aren't criteriums dangerous? How much do races cost? etc. etc. It is interesting to see the mentality. For them every club ride is a competition and a chance to prove how fast they are, but they are all scared to cross into the world of real racing. I guess it is easier to keep beating women and fat old men than to get out and really race. By the way, I think they are all going to try Bear Lake so give them a wide berth or better yet just drop them early on so they wont crash you.

Well, I'm off to get some stuff done. My bike is still filthy from HOTN and I have to do all of my schoolwork today so I wont have to worry about it this weekend. Yeah! Triple Valley here I come!

2 comments:

Rio's Rider said...

I can only imagine how much work it's going to be to get all that sticky electrical tape off! Mixed with the dirt, it's gotta be pretty.

Good luck at Triple Valley!! I'll be thinking about you and cheering you on.

Downhilldiva said...

The good news is that the tape came off pretty slick. The big cleaning job is going to be my drive train. My chain sounded terrible last night.